Allegheny County Property Assessment Tips for 2021 Tax Appeals
What You Need to Know for Your 2021 Property Assessment
The deadline for filing property tax appeals in Allegheny County is March 31, 2021. This deadline applies to both property owners and school districts. Most property tax appeals in recent years have been filed by school districts, but 2021 may be different. The global pandemic is expected to increase the number of commercial tax appeals due to change in vacancies and rent reduction. In anticipation of an increased number of 2021 tax appeal filings, the Allegheny County Office of Property Assessments has released the BPAAR Hearing Tip Sheet for 2021.
Preparing For Your Allegheny County Tax Appeal
For ease of reference, we have highlighted the most important tips in our opinion below:
- All 2021 Board of Property Assessment and Review hearings will be held by telephone, and an appropriate telephone number must be provided at least five (5) days in advance.
- All evidence for Allegheny County Property tax appeals must be submitted at least ten (10) days in advance in accordance with Office of Property Assessment local rules.
- Evidence for tax appeal hearings will not be returned and will remain part of the Allegheny County property assessment file.
- You may not submit video or links for any assessment hearing.
- Evidence for 2021 property assessment hearings may include picture files, PDF's, word documents, and/or other static sources.
- There are three (3) ways to submit evidence for your tax appeal hearing, which includes on the real estate portal, email submission to APPEALS@AlleghenyCounty.us, or by mailing a copy of all evidence to the Allegheny County Office of Property Assessments.
- School Districts who file 2021 property tax appeals must also provide and exchange assessment evidence no later than ten (10) in advance.
- Property Owners must also exchange all evidence for their property assessment hearing to each of the taxing entities in advance of the assessment hearing.
- Allegheny County Hearing officers will make two (2) attempts to contact all parties for tax appeal hearings and if unsuccessful, the tax appeal hearing will be withdrawn.
- Property Owners will also be bound to all regulations and procedures for BPAAR hearings and should email the Office of Property Assessment or our office with any questions concerning the assessment process.
How Flaherty Fardo Can Help With Your Property Assessment
2021 is expected to have the highest number of tax appeal filings in Allegheny County in many years. Not only are commercial tax appeals expected to increase, but school district tax appeals are also being filed at a steady pace. School districts continue to appeal property assessments for recent home buyers throughout Allegheny County to increase property taxes. Since Allegheny County is operating under a 2012 Base Year, these school district appeals can and should be vigorously defended. Our law firm has extensive and unique experience in defending school district tax appeals.
Since 1999, the Pittsburgh law office of Flaherty Fardo Rogel & Amick has helped thousands of property owners in Allegheny County save on property taxes and reduce property assessments. If you have any questions concerning a 2021 property tax appeal or property assessment questions in general, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.